Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Milestones

Today, Jelly Bean turned 8 months old. Yay! Big Boy!

This wonderbaby can sit up, crawl, roll over any-which-way you choose, pull up on just about anything that will sit still long enough for him to do so, and has just learned (thanks to Daddy) to stick out his tongue! (Which Mommy is discouraging.)

He is cute as all get out and we are so proud of him.

Today, Brother had his Parents Appreciation mini-program at school and I went. Honey was going to go with me, but had to stay home with Jelly Bean yesterday because he had a touch of the flu still. (See yucky melodramatic description here.) Therefore, he couldn't take off two days in a row and I headed over to the school this afternoon from work, solo. So I got to go and sit in the teeny chairs in the classroom and watch my beautiful child wave at me and stare into my teary eyes while he sang about Kindergarten Explorers and how much he loves his Mommy. It was truly great, all of these wonderful children finishing their first year of formal education. Beginning the process of finding out who they are going to be. Learning the rudiments of reading, writing, science, and math. Plus, I got phone numbers from some of the other moms for Brother to go play with his classmates. Yay! Friends! Thank goodness for those wonderful women who are so much more forward than I am. Thank goodness for people who don't harbor the fear of rejection like I do. I am always convinced I am bothering someone and they would rather I just went away, thank you very much.


And, lookee here! Brother lost his FIRST TOOTH! I was messing with it and he kept complaining that I was hurting him (when really I was being very gentle.) But I hate it when other people (like those dentist people?) stick their fingers in my mouth and mess around, so who could blame him? I had heard that it was better for children to pull their own teeth and his was so very wibbly-wobbly loose, I told him this: "Just pull it out. You will feel better. You can do it." So he looked at me with solemn brown eyes and said, "I am going to pull from the top, ok?" And then he just did it. On gentle yank and voila! Tooth Fairy time. We built a little red lego house for the tooth to reside in on the bookcase. We didn't want the tooth getting lost, of course.

The next morning, his father found him lying next to his sleeping mother in the big bed, gently caressing the two whole dollars the Tooth Fairy had given him. Oh joy. This getting older stuff might not be so bad after all.

2 comments:

sarah said...

two things:

1: totally know what you mean about the fear of rejection thing.

2: I am LOVING ian's shirt in that photo.

nice to meet you!

theflyingmum said...

Oooo, those brown eyes. And what a brave boy. My son would never pull his own tooth out. At least I'm pretty sure he wouldn't - he may yet surprise me though. He has his first dentist's appt. on Friday (YIKES!)