Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Travel Journal

Our trip was lovely and not nearly as cold as I thought it was going to be. That is just like me, catastrophizing over chilly weather and then the weather doesn't even get chilly. I feel like the universe is shouting in my ear, "Take a chill pill, already." And I probably should...and I probably won't. It is good to be realistic. (About my chill pill taking tendencies, not the weather. Well, maybe the weather, too. Oh, you know what I mean.)

The grass was green and silky. I made Honey take off his shoes and socks to feel it. Not sure he was so impressed, but it was wonderful to me. Like a childhood wrapped up in one sensation. We ate yummy ice cream and custard, but didn't get to hit the place with the universally acclaimed best pizza in the cosmos. When I saw the Girls, I nearly wept. Why is it that you don't realize how much you miss people until you actually see them again. Which is more true? "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" or "Out of sight, out of mind"? We saw cousins and children of cousins, grandparents, great grandparents, great GREAT grandparents and great aunts and uncles. We saw people galore. It was a lovely time.

The kids did really well on the plane even though we had a horrible horrible HORRIBLE time with the airline. As Honey says, "Terrorists ruin everything (!!!)." While on the plane, Jelly Bean was asleep in Honey's arms and he was so maddeningly beautiful, he barely looked real. A pure sugar-coated baby doll...complete with boogers in his nose. Brother had his obligatory apple juice and peanuts on every flight and was indignant as I kept asking him what he wanted to drink. "Apple juice and nuts, just like every time." Ok. Got it. I nearly dumped water all over my clothes just to get a drink after asked the flight attendant for a cup of ice no less than 4 times. The Flying Mum is right, the air inside a plane is drier than the Sahara.

Alas, we won't be going anywhere anytime soon. I am thinking about a pool membership for the summer. Maybe get a nice tan? Probably not. The sun scares me and I use SPF 70 million on my family. I have just noticed that I was a much more prolific blogger in April than I was in May. Ah, here's to June! May I have lots to say. May you all want to hear it.

No comments: