Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Week One - Progress

Just thought I would check in with the sugar/grain fast thing. I am doing pretty well on it. The first few days I was super tired in the evenings. My body kind of went kaput at about 7 PM and I kinda laid there trying not to fall asleep before the bedtime routines for the boys could even start. Now, I am much better. I 'fell' off the wagon twice. Once on a date with my husband at Outback. Once at a minor league baseball game. Cocktails and hot dog buns are apparent weaknesses. But I am cutting myself some slack and not abandoning the project entirely. We all mess up sometimes. I just hop right back on that sugar-free train. Although I will say that at Outback, after our meal, I nearly fell asleep in the booth. I can't figure that out. Kind of ruined our date to be perfectly honest. And the baby is sleeping well, so I don't think that was the problem. Anyway, I am still figuring this out.

My heartburn issues have decreased by about 75%, I would say. I am still taking a Zantac at night, but think this week I will try cutting the dose in half. I am not wild about taking pills everyday and would love to be rid of this habit.

I have lost 5 pounds, but have been eating when hungry...and that seems like a lot. I probably eat 5 to 6 times a day. But I have been eating SO MUCH fruits and vegetables. I feel like those don't hold me as long as other stuff, so I have to eat more often. It kind of feels like since I am not having grains or treats, I am just choosing other things. I think Michael Pollan has a point. When you choose not to eat something, you are choosing to eat something else. I think he was referring to the meat vs vegetable debate, but the concept still applies, even if I am explaining it poorly. Anyway, if I am hungry, I eat. I am still nursing, so my supply is always on my mind. I pump at work, so I have a pretty good gauge of how I am doing and I haven't seen any change so far.

I am still working on cutting sugar out of my diet without substituting a whole lot of artificial sweeteners. I can handle about one dose, but much more than that and I get a nearly instant migraine. Salad dressings are a bit difficult. A lot of them have added sugar. I am not a really big salad eater, but I like a little with cucumbers or baby carrots. I am finding Bleu Cheese to be pretty good with 1 gram of sugar in it. I think I remember it being ok on the South Beach Diet I tried a few years ago along with Cesar. I am still having dairy and butter and cheese. I make sure to have protein to stave off hunger.

As far as cravings go, it hasn't been bad. I don't lie in bed ruminating about Twinkies. It is mostly when a food is in front of me that I want it. But I bought the kids donuts and some other treats the other day and have no desire for them. I don't really want any pasta or rice. I did have a craving for a BLT yesterday on whole grain wheat bread, but it was fleeting.

They have a local gym that offers just class fitness with no contracts for a very reasonable monthly fee that I would like to join. I really miss my dance classes, but my instructor moved out of state while I was busy having a baby. I want to go sign up for that gym this week.

4 comments:

Nik-Nak said...

Great report! I'm glad you are able to hang on, what do you do for protein? Nuts?

And when you do have a craving how do you squash it? Put your mind on something else? Eat something healthy?

I get spaghetti, pasta, bread cravings TERRIBLY and I haven't found a way yet to overcome those. I have even been known to wake up in the middle of the night and announce to my husband that we are finding an Olive Garden over the weekend, PRONTO!

I would die for your willpower.

Shalini said...

I don't have your willpower, either! I'm still eating rice and potatoes and corn, and even then I sometimes dream about Twinkies :)

Oh yes, I get pasta cravings big time. There are sweet potato noodles that you can buy that have helped me. I either find them in the "ethnic" section (ugh) or in the organic section.

As for salad dressings--olive oil and salt! I don't know why, but I find it perfect, esp. with a little cheddar cheese on top.

Misty said...

Honest to goodness: I. Have. No. Will Power. No, really. Baked goods usually send me over the edge. And I am just making up the rules as I go along and trying to do what I can.

I am still eating potatoes and I have a lot of dairy and meat for protein. When I have a craving, I just eat something else. Will this always work? Probably not. I am trying to be flexible and gentle with myself.

d e v a n said...

It sounds like you're doing great! GO you!!