I think it was an excellent detox. I don't crave sugar or pasta or rice. (Now, if you put a sundae in front of me, what am I to do?) I lost 6.5 lbs, which is decent. I kind of expected it to be more drastic seeing as I drastically changed my eating habits. But, no. Not really.
So, I don't really miss the treats or the bread. But here's the thing. I work full time and with commute and chauffeuring the kids, I am out of the house 10 hours a day. Then add evening activities that consist of another 3 hours and that is 13 hours I am not at home. I am just having a hard time finding things to eat that fit into this self-inflicted condition. Sugar is in a lot of stuff. Flours are in a lot of stuff. Even if I get a frozen dinner that is only about 350 calories, there is probably some sort of thickener in the gravy and I have to throw out the fruit, because they most likely put sugar on it. The eating style doesn't bother me, but it is hugely inconvenient. I have to cook vegetarian for Brother, nut-free for Jelly Bean, and something other than ramen noodles for Honey (because he is a grown up. He should have 'flavor' and 'something other than sugar and simple carbs' for dinner.) And me only eating vegetables, meat and beans is just too complicated. I need to simplify, not make anything harder right now. Plus, I will admit that I would just go hungry rather than figure out what to eat on this restrictive plan.
This reminded me, whilst on my commute this morning, how much I loved WeightWatchers. It worked for me and I could eat whatever I wanted. Want a cookie? Have one. But you are going to have to compensate later. It was just flexible and workable and frankly, the weight loss was approximately the same, so why am I jumping through hoops? Also, my nursing supply is lagging a bit. Normally I would just eat a good bit of oatmeal and rice and it would right itself. But that isn't going to work on a low carb plan.
I kind of hate not finishing what I start. I like to see myself as steadfast and committed. A goal-achiever. And I could stick with the 'plan' for the next two weeks, but I am going to give myself a break... and go to a WW's meeting on Saturday.
5 comments:
I think sometimes things like this are "quitting," but other times it's more like realizing something isn't working and so not wasting any more time with it. Like people who walk out of movies they hate: they're not quitting, they're making a sensible choice not to waste any more time with it.
1. You are not a quitter, not by a long shot. (Also, HELLO, you are nursing! That's my "eat anything" card.) You did it for 16 days and that is amazing.
2. I am not convinced that the no grains thing holds water. As Michael Pollan said, "nutrition in the 21st century is a science like surgery in the 16th century." It's hard to know what's good and what's bad. So: whatever works? WORKS.
First: I'm impressed you did it for as long as you did! I would have caved to some spaghetti after the second day.
Second: I totally get the inconvenience of it. I couldn't imagine having to cook two meals a night, which is what my husband would end up asking for. There is no way his skinny little self would put up with no suagrs and flours or whatever.
Don't feel bad! You gave it a great go.
You're not quitting! You're reevaluating and adjusting. It is important to be flexible otherwise you set yourself up for failure. You rock. Seriously.
I don't think it's quitting either. You tried something, you evaluated how it worked for you and now you're trying something else. Sounds pretty smart to me.
Post a Comment