Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Overboard

Jelly Bean has a birthday coming up very, very soon. Birthdays cause me to lose my mind, just a little.

Ok, maybe a lot.

I started to feel bad because Brother has had a party or extensive outing with multiple friends (Laser Tag and Pizza Party! McDonald's Party! Movies and restaurant and cake and ice cream at the house with friends!) for all of his birthdays. Jelly Bean had a pretty kickass first birthday party..and that was it. Bwomp Bwomp Bwahwahwahwahwah....
And I started feeling guilty because here is this adorable little middle child who 6 short weeks ago was my own sweet baby and not a galumphing Big Kid and I have never given him a birthday party! Shame and utter despair and a week to plan. Oh. My.

So, there will be a SpiderMan spacewalk jumpy thingy. All the neighborhood children will be invited and if parents and relatives show up, there will be about 30+ people at my small, spur of the moment birthday party. There will be a cake with a farm on it. Multiple presents were bought. Books! A beetle poster! And oh, he needs a BALL PIT!

Let's talk about the ball pit. Let's talk about how he is pretty rambunctious and those inflatable things looked too shallow. Let's talk about how Honey decided to build a ball pit out of PVC pipes and plastic garden fencing and used this ball pit calculator to determine how many balls were needed. Let's talk about how it told us 700 balls would make it over a foot deep and how our math skilz are sadly lacking OR the calculator is a P.O.S. And how it didn't work out and now more balls are ordered and the ball pit we built to be cheap is costing us somewhere in the ballpark of $300.00.

I asked Honey. I asked him how did this happen? What were we thinking? It's like we decided to build a ball pit. And we decided we wanted 1.5 feet of balls. Then when the first installment of balls didn't come out as we had envisioned, we just...bought more. And more. And now they are all in the mail and I have a $300 ball pit and a party coming up this weekend to also pay for.

Still, Jelly is loving the ball pit. It will be cool when it is finished. And New Baby will get to play in it someday, too. I don't regret it or getting carried away, per se, I just wished I had opened my eyes a bit.

Still, they are loving it.

5 comments:

Jess said...

It does look like fun and I'm sure the party will be a smash hit. Sorry about the expense, though. Scary!

LoriD said...

These things always happen to me. The basics of a project are inexpensive enough, but then there's always a little (expensive) surprise along the way. It looks very cool, though. Who wouldn't want their very own ball pit?!

d e v a n said...

That ball pit looks awesome. i want to jump in it myself...
Happy birthday to your now-big boy!!

Swistle said...

It's a very, very, very fine ball pit!

Chantal said...

Seriously my boys (especially my 5yo) would love that!