Ug, I am so put out.
I posted an article on Facebook about the recent Arizona law censoring certain types of classes pertaining to ethnicity and the UN condemnation of such actions and said, basically, that Arizona has lost its mind. On the surface, when I read the actual law (and posted the link to it) it doesn't seem that bad. The problem is, I think, maybe not so much the law but maybe the reasoning behind it? It seems to stem from racism and instead of advocating diversity, it is attacking certain curricula on the basis that they are studying Mexican-American or African-American history and "promoting hatred of white people". Literally, the legislation specified that no curricula would be taught that would advocate overthrowing the US government. It seems more like an accusation that that is what the school district was doing, rather than an actual prohibition of such extremism. And in light of Arizona's current legislation beefing up police power to question folks about their immigration status (which, come on, WHO are they going to question? It obviously is a slippery slope to racial profiling), I wasn't all that surprised at the censorship.
But hey! I'm not a lawyer. I could be wrong. Really. Maybe I don't understand all the facts. But, from what I read, that was my take on the subject. And then I got this comment:
"your brainwashed"
And then I hit *DELETE* because no one is going to insult my intelligence on my own darn Facebook page, especially not a FAMILY MEMBER. If he would have decided to engage me in a rational debate or given reasons for his disagreement with my analysis, then I would have happily allowed that to stand. I would have been fine to have been corrected and admitted I was wrong. But to resort to poorly punctuated name calling? No. Not even a little bit.
And now I am perturbed with myself for even giving a crap. I have two degrees. The first was essentially in critical thinking and analyzation. The second was in research. The Insulter has only ever set foot on a campus to perhaps attend a football game. Still, telling me I am stupid (or unethical) is just one of those things that gets. under. my. skin. GAH!
/rant
2 comments:
Oh, I would be pissed too. And furthermore, when one of my old high school classmates "Ooooo-kay"'d me in a similar situation, I UNFRIENDED HER. I...uh. But! "Ooooo-kay"??? What else could I have done?
Geez. He could have at least used proper grammar with his insult.
Post a Comment