Monday, March 29, 2010

Let's Talk Baby

I have an ultrasound tomorrow to see if the little alien in my abdomen has decided to grow any and maybe catch up with his gestational age. I always seem to gain a bunch of weight right around...now. And I have been supremely hungry. Like oh-my-freaking-god-if-I-don't-eat-RIGHT-NOW-someone-is-going-to-die hungry. So, hopefully I am growing the baby and not just me.

Just two days ago I started to feel him move on the outside, like with my hand. And you can watch my tum move, too. Fun. Like the best part. Last night I went to go see Wicked with a friend of mine and he either loved it or hated it, as expressed by him doing the Macarena on my bladder all through Act II. Of course, it could have been he was working out all his energy from the copious amounts of dinner I had consumed.

The same friend I went to the show with has offered to throw me a "sprinkle" and I have accepted. I know I said I didn't want one, because I wanted to buy stuff for myself. But frankly, this is the first party in my life someone has asked to have for me. I did all the work for my first shower and the second one, I was whining about how I really NEEDED a shower and then she offered to have one for me. (No judgements on my manners, please. I was griping with no end in mind was genuinely surprised when she offered. Really!) Not really the same as someone approaching you and offering, you know? And since we had a shotgun-type wedding, I didn't get a bridal shower of any sort and only a vague ghost of a reception. All that aside, I am going to make the guest list short and sweet and the invite will have something on it cutesy about gifts not being mandatory. Maybe this?

If you'd like to bring a gift, try a necessity
But if you'd rather not, please just come enjoy the company!

Too perky? Necessities being stuff like diapers, wipes, bibs, baby socks (because they evaporate), etc. I am pretty much insisting on the 'sprinkle' and the loosey goosey attitude on gifts because, I don't know if you guys have noticed, but people on the Internets can get down right vicious when it comes to a baby shower for a second or third child. Like, basically they are referring to the mother-to-be as a gold-digging present whore. Yikes! Is it really all that awful to want to have a small little get together when you are pregnant to celebrate a new sweetie little baby and coo over teensy diapers? I don't know.

We are still stuck on a name. The name Honey likes sounds a little aristocratic to me and incorporates a family name from his side. Well, the last kid got a family name from his side and I kinda want to use a family name from my side this time. At the same time, this is our last baby and I don't want him to be disappointed that he didn't get to use this one name he wanted to use. Maybe I can get him a fish and let him name the fish this name. But he has to clean the tank.

This post has crappy transitions and is fuzzy. Much like my brain these days.

5 comments:

Jess said...

Ugh. The Internet breeds charming amounts of misplaced judgment, doesn't it? I think the sprinkle sounds like a wonderful idea.

Beck said...

People on the internet are jerks. Don't worry about 'em. I had my first and only shower when I was heavily pregnant with my THIRD kid - I'd never had one (long story) and I was grumpy and bored and wanted to open presents.

d e v a n said...

Screw the Internets and enjoy your sprinkle!!!

LoriD said...

I don't understand why people are so down on showers for 2nds and 3rds. Isn't it just a celebration of a new baby? The sprinkle sounds like a lovely idea.

The name issue is hard. All three of my kids got a family name from my side as a middle name. I don't feel bad about it at all because they all got his last name.

Chantal said...

I like the sprinkle idea! Good one. I say enjoy it!