Yesterday I took the day off to be with Brother. It was a lovely day. First, Honey and I went to Brother's first grade end of the year ceremony. Then Honey headed to work and Brother and I went to the library to pick out some books as I had signed him up for the summer reading program. We got one that was a diary of a worm and another about a frog. The last book Brother picked out was illustrated darkly. It had a picture of a cat in a tuxedo sitting at a formal dinner table with a mouse on his plate. Very gangster, Sopranos looking. When Brother looked at this book on display, his eyes were as round as the dinner saucers. I said, "Let's get it." He shook his head. I said, "Oh come on. We have to know what happens!" He told me that book looked rated PG-13. We still got it. I think he will enjoy it. You never know what might happen! Push 'em out of their comfort zone, I say! Expand that reading palate. Librarians Unite!
*Ahem*
So, then we went home for just a bit to relax (me) and play video games (him) for about an hour and then went out to lunch at the "Spanish-Speaking Place," Brother's choice. We had yummy cheesy dip and salsa with chips. We had fajitas...or I had fajitas. Brother had tortillas smeared with sour cream and lettuce, which is his favorite food in the universe. But he told me, "Look Mama. I tried two new things. Guacamole and rice." I know it doesn't sound like much, but I am proud of his efforts and also pleased that he wanted me to notice.
Next, it was off to the movies. There wasn't really anything child appropriate that I wanted to see, but the second Narnia was out and I was willing to settle on that. Until...Brother saw that Speed Racer was playing. *Big FAT SIGH* But I told him it was his day and while I would probably have seizures or get motion sickness, we could go see it. He was delighted. Shockingly, I had a fantastic time (Of course, how could it not end up ok when I was planning on the movie making me physically sick and it didn't.) The movie was about standing up for your principles, the importance of independence and family values. Anti-Trust, Anti-Big Business. Interesting, really. Plus it was in a psychedelic style that I had never seen before in a film. Thought I would hate it. Thought I would sleep through it as to not barf. Those things didn't happen. Go figure.
Then we went to Wa1Mart, where all roads seem to Pokemon cards.
Me: Let's get ice cream!
Bro: Then I get to pick the flavor since you won't let me have Pokemon cards.
Me: How about we compromise on a flavor?
Bro: Fine, then you have to let me get Pokemon cards!
Me: Noooooo, what kind of ice cream would you like to have (trying to redirect)
Bro: The Pokemon kind
(I scan the freezer.)
Me: Where is that? I don't see that.
Bro: No, Pokemon cards.
Me: (Grabs the pineapple sherbet)
Bro: You chose! Now you have to buy me Pokemon cards!
Gah. I don't know where the greedy guts kid came from. I am vehemently against raising a child to believe that just because you walk into a place of commerce, you should automatically get bought something. I certainly wasn't raised that way. I am hoping this is a phase. Anyway, we went to get Jelly from school and I brought the boys home and fed them. Brother played in the little blow up pool we finally put up with his friends until it was time to come inside for the night. It was a really lovely day. I so enjoyed doing whatever he wanted to do and saying yes more than I said no.
(With the exception of the Pokemon cards...Gah)
5 comments:
That does sound like a lovely day. I really need to have one like that with D soon. Before school ends and summer camps begin. He likes summer camp too much to give it up to spend the day with boring old mommy.
I also struggle to make sure my kids can go into a store and not automatically expect to buy something. My sister does that and it drives me nuts. She does it with my kids too and it drives me double nuts! :)
I love days like that (and I need to find a summer camp like the one Chantal's kids go to!)
Sounds like a really great day.
Lisa always wants something when we walk into a store. Bart never ever asks. I don't know if it's the age (although she did it at Bart's age too), or if we just spoiled her in the early days, but it drives me crazy too.
"The Pokemon kind"
Heh! He is clever, that boy!
Glad you had a good day - it is always nice to be able to say 'yes' more than 'no'! :)
Heidi
It sounds like a good day! I had to giggle at the pokemon cards. lol
Post a Comment