Twitter was abuzz with Where'd You Go, Bernadette? and so I ran to Technical Services and stole a copy, just as fast as they could get the spine labels on. I did like it. I thought the device was really unique and interesting and I liked the characters a lot. Highly recommended.
I just finished Seraphina last night. I thought this was very well written with a lot of unique perspectives in it. It had elements in it that I had never seen before in a fantasy novel, which is thought provoking. It makes you sit up and pay closer attention. It is always fun to read something that feels a bit outside of the formula. It reminded me a lot of Daughter of Smoke and Bone with a dash of Kristin Cashore.
I have also recently read Barbara Kingsolver's newest work, Flight Behavior. Oh, I really loved this book and desperately wish for the time to listen to it on audio. It was much like Prodigal Summer. Same setting in Appalachia. Same themes. Different tale. Man, the characters were so good. And the message. Ah! I really loved it. If you liked Prodigal Summer, you will want to kiss Barbara for giving the world this book.
This month in the book club, we are reading Christopher Moore's Fool, which is brilliant and dirty all at the same time. It's more like Sacre Bleu or Lamb than his other work and I am set to start rereading it today. (I am slightly worried about the book club's reaction to the bawdy parts...which is basically the whole book.)
What about you? Read anything good lately?
1 comment:
I haven't heard of any of those books but I may come back to this post when I need some inspiration. I can not tell a lie. I am reading smut right now. I am late to the 50 shades train and even though I can't say I am loving it, it is like a train wreck. I don't want to look but I can't stop myself. I also belong to a corporate book club. We read business books. This month we are reading The Power of Habit and it is so interesting. I am really enjoying it.
Post a Comment