Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The most wonderful time of the year

Today was the start of our Fall CSA. I feel lucky/smug at the bag of beautiful vegetables sitting behind my desk and the vase of zinnias to my left. The colors look like summertime, even though it is a breezy 60 degrees outside. (Although still very VERY sunny. Still, closest we get to fall hereabouts.) My french doors are spread wide to let in the wind and the sun and the sounds of the train across the street. I like the green so close to me. Makes me forget I am cooped up in an office.

The farm we get our CSA from doesn't deliver to my town anymore and you have to go pick up in the Next Town Over. I have a friend who works from home who has agreed to go pick up our share for the next 6 weeks. I am planning in my head for eggplant lasagna and googling the best way to use flowering tarragon, which smells like licorice. Even more than the fresh produce, I love the sleuth-like creativity required to use all these veggies before next week's haul.

The acorns are thunking down on my car under the live oak in the parking lot. When I leave for the day, I turn on the windshield wipers to scatter the seeds as I am driving. I wonder about those little seeds and if they will ever make a tree on the side of the interstate.

Soon, good apples will be rolling into the supermarkets. We have 4 pumpkins on our front porch waiting to be carved into jack-o-lanterns. Finalization of Halloween costumes are in the works.

Oh, I love Fall.

3 comments:

Shalini said...

And this? Is why people live in the south. Lucky lady!

Misty said...

That and the food....mmm, foooood. There have to be some perks, right? I get sunshine, you get liberals and coffee shops. :)

Chantal said...

I think I could live near you. Even if it was just for a little while. My 6yo was asking us if we could move somewhere where it is summer all the time. All I could do was look and sigh. I wish. Your fall sounds wonderful. Ours is wet and dark and cold. Booo.