Monday, July 26, 2010

Due Date and Dirty Laundry

Today is my due date. I am still pregnant. And! At work. I deserve a cookie.

Really though, it is no hardship. I sit at a desk for the vast majority of the day and have a chair that can lean way way back whenever I need to quit hunching over the keyboard. I will be induced early on Wednesday if there's no baby before then. Honestly? I think I will make it to Wednesday. I am not feeling particularly bad (right now) and whenever I do feel rough, (usually in the evenings) it doesn't last very long.

Do you know, this is my first due date that I have ever had where I am still pregnant? Really. I feel like proud and accomplished. I have no clue why. Its not like there's a prize for staying pregnant longer and indeed, some would put that in the 'punishment' category. But that is how I feel.

~~~~
My wedding anniversary is coming up in a few weeks. I asked my husband what he would like for his anniversary, because I have to get it now or it may not be got. My husband is a freaking fabulous guy who works hard and helps around the house and doesn't argue and is nearly always in a good mood. But when I ask him a question about his wants, it feels like he is...young. Like 5. Like when you ask a 5 year old what they want for their birthday and they say, "A Pony! And a transformer-megatron-fortress with REAL LASERS built exclusively from toothpicks by British elves! And every single thing that is and ever was in the inventory of Toys R Us! And a PONY!"

Ok, I am exaggerating a little bit. And I love him loads, but he really does get the best presents. Probably because he asks for them... I am more likely to do something foolish like:

"Dear, what do you want for Mother's Day?"
"A broom."
"A broom???"
"Yes, and a new dust pan to go with it."
(Unfortunately, this is an actual example.)

I am a practical girl. I don't have a long list of wants. He is not as practical. Which is fine, really. Anyway, so for the anniversary, he asked for a new gizmo and I must have tipped him off by my body language (or, you know, by saying "#$%@!!!") that perhaps Christmas would be a better time to ask for expensive gizmos. Then he asked for underpants.

Anyway, even the underpants request is a bit amusing. When we first started dating, he was living in a dorm and had no access to laundry facilities, so I let him use my washer/dryer at my house. Anyway, the man had so many clothes because...he didn't have access to laundry facilities and needed a lot of clean clothes between washings to keep him going. I used to tell him (and still do) that he has more underpants than God. Anyway, when he said he wanted underpants, I kind of looked at him blankly and said, "Ok. Any particular requests?" He said, "Enough so that I can throw out all of my current underpants and have all new underpants."

Perhaps we should coin the term: practical extravagance.

Now, I have no intention of buying the man underpants for his anniversary. I will get the requested underpants. But five bucks says that he adds them to his collection and doesn't throw out any existing underpants and therefore, have an underpants collection that makes God green with jealousy.

8 comments:

d e v a n said...

HA! @ the underpants!

Yes, I put "going past due date" under the punishment category. for sure. BUT! A baby is coming! SOON! Yay!

Saly said...

I've gone past my due date only once, and it was sheer torture (plus the baby weighed over 10lbs).

I am thinking of you. I can't wait to see that pumpkin pie!

LoriD said...

Oh, I wish I could send you a cookie. I only made it to my due date with Maggie, and then she was born the very next morning. With the other two, I worked the day of their births.

I am laughing at your husband's request. Homer is a 5-year-old when it comes to gift requests too. AND he said the same thing about his socks - he wants all new ones to just replace the old ones!

Swistle said...

YES, "practical extravagance"!

Chantal said...

LOL I think my hubby could use all new underpants and socks (thanks LoriD for that idea) I think this Christmas will be a good one for him :) LOL

Hugs to you and I can't wait to hear about and see the new addition :)

Jess said...

I am just catching up, and I see that this post is four days old. Are you still pregnant NOW? Need updates!

Emblita said...

Oh my... I've been mostly off the nets during my vaca... and are you still pregnant? Or is there BABY?!

Swistle said...

Oh hi! Just, you know, stopping by. No reason. Certainly NOT doing that annoying thing where people monitor a pregnant woman and call her every day just to ask if she's in labor or if the baby's born. Ha ha! Certainly not!