For various reasons, I am avoiding M names, names that end with N, and names longer than two syllables (due to the infamous hyphenated Last-Name.) Alas, I do like some names that have these qualities, but we are trying to narrow the field, right?
And the finalists are:
- Seth
- Henry
- Luke
- William
Now, I like the idea of having a meaningful/family name as a middle name, but something all his own for the first name. This is how the other two boys ended up being named, although I didn't realize it until I had to come up with another boy name. Honey likes the name Charles for family and meaning. I like the name William for family and meaning. I am not much a fan of Charles because I don't like the way it sounds. Unctuous, maybe, with a touch of snobbery. I guess I feel differently about William because I have known so many Williams, even though, if pressed, I would say they are equally formal. But Honey likes the idea of a little Will running around. And I will admit, that is attractive to me, but still...I don't love the full name of William as a first name.
Brother is rooting for Seth because it happens to be the name of the protagonist in this series of books (which is highly recommended to those who like YA Fantasy, i.e. Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, etc.) Jelly Bean also has a baby in his belly (!!!) and he frequently reminds me "My baby named LUKE!" Accent on the LUKE! Luke may be out because I went around telling what I thought was a very funny joke regarding the name, but I think it turned Honey off a bit because it was slightly at his expense. It's not really a secret that Honey is a big Star Wars fan and a bit of a nerd (What? I *like* nerds.) I told everyone he wanted to name the baby Luke so he could go around saying, "Luke. I am your Father." Ha? Funny, right? Meh, maybe not so much. Honey never actually said this, I just went around spouting it for funsies.
So! All this chatter has left me approximately not at all closer to deciding on a name. Maybe we will just wait until he is born and THEN pick! Or, you know, fret about it for a while longer.
8 comments:
We have a Luke and we make that joke all the time. Our Luke is now BIG TIME into Star Wars and tells people (e.g. teachers) that his middle name is Skywalker. Hee.
Anyway... I love all the names on your list. Seth is great - it's a name you don't see often but it's both handsome and cute; fun and professional. Around here, the Henry's and William's far outweigh the Seth's and Luke's in popularity. What about Chad? I've always liked that name too.
Ok, I know your hyphenated last name dealie, and I have to say that I just love William with it. LOVE it!! William Hyphenated-Lastname sounds great! Apply it to professional careers William Hyphenated-Lastname; Attorney at Law, or for sports William Hyphenated-Lastname Olympic Snow Boarder, or anything—Chef William Hyphenated-Lastname, Renowned Anthropologist William Hyphenated-Lastname, Lead Guitar player William Hyphenated-Lastname. It works all over the place.
Plus a baby Will, or Willy (or if it were my child Willy Billy Illy as in the case of Hannah Banana Fana) is ADORBS!!
Can’t wait to hear what you decide!
Henry is the only one on your list that you didn't go into detail about. This makes me think that either you don't like it that much or you don't have any concerns about it.
Are you going to write in to Swistle's baby names blog? She is so good at this!
I LOOOOVE Seth! It was on our short list for son#3
Yes! Write to Swistle's name blog!!
I like Seth :)
I found it really hard to name D2 and then one day I was sitting in the Chiro office and this cute kid came out of the room and he was so adorable. His mom came out and called his name and that was it. It was THE name. Maybe something like that will happen for you.
My first choice is Henry William, which I think is PERFECT IN EVERY WAY.
VERY CLOSE second choice is William Henry, which I think is PERFECT IN EVERY WAY.
And then, because you specifically said you wanted to narrow it down and NOT add more names, here are some more names: Isaac, Alec, Louis.
Post a Comment